Saturday, November 29, 2008
Worldwide recession, sky high gas prices, food costs skyrocketing, a one day border war, now the main airport in Thailand is shut down, (and the secondary one) where everyone transfers to and from Cambodia, visa renewals for tourists and businesspeople wishing to remain in Cambodia have stopped, and yet the rain in the dry season hasn't, yet tourism is still booming here.
Several dozen new guesthouses, hotels and resorts, restaurants, tour companies, and entertainment venues have opened in town, prices are coming down, the weather is improving, and SihanoukVille is only getting more popular.
Ocheteaul and Serendipity Beaches have seen the biggest improvements, with a number of both backpacker guesthouses and mini-resorts moving in. The restaurant selection has tripled in the last year.
The new airport is opened? but doesn't have any flights yet, except for charters. This year has seen the most visitors from cruise ships, and 2009 should be even better. All the world's navies want to be friends with SihanoukVille, and we've even seen the first Chinese naval ship in the county. Also, the American, French, Australian, and Indian navies have been here.
The number of Casinos has quadrupled in the last year, and one more (at least) is due soon. Cambodia's first inland sea marina is almost finished, and Cambodia's first bridge between the mainland and an island has started. The tallest building in SihanoukVille, and once all of Asia, the 7 story hotel at Independence Beach was renovated and newly opened for the first time in a couple decades.
During all the big holiday weekends and weeks, all the rooms in town were filled, with people sleeping on the beach as well. (take note: Christmas / New Years is coming up. Think "reservations").
2009, see you soon!
Another day in Paradise.
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Many new places have opened in SihanoukVille..... (thanks to the SihanoukVille Advertiser)
Holiday Palace Casino features Cambodia's first Indonesian restaurant
The Red House, from Phnom Penh has opened a branch here serving Singaporean and Malaysian Food.
We've got Cambodia's first miniature golf course, in back of Pim's restaurant on Ocheteaul Beach.
Sweet Chili, serving authentic Indian food, opened on the main street
Pim's has SihanoukVille's first Traditional Cambodian Apsara dance show (well.... except for Chi Khmer).
The Red Snapper Guesthouse has reopened after renovations
as has The Blue Frog Guesthouse.
L'Ambassade Guesthouse and restaurant on Victory Hill has reopened.
Hurricane Windsurfing on Otres Beach has opened at the Daquiri Hut.
Above Us Only Sky Bar & Bungalows opened on Serendipity Beach.
The Frogman, scuba diving is back in action on Serendipity Beach.
SihanoukVille's first night market, at Savery Guesthouse opened.
Happy Herb Pizza moved to Ocheteaul Beach, and everyone's much happier now.
The Villa swimming pool bar and Thai restaurant is opened on Karaoke Street.
The new market, which was the old market before it burned down last year reopened.
The bridge from the mainland to Snake Island has started construction.....
Regina and Julian are back.......
and that's about it.
We're just finishing Water Festival week, where 4 million people crowd into Phnom Penh to watch the boat races, and everyone who can, gets out of Phnom Penh for a week swimming and playing in Sunny? SihanoukVille.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
From the August to October The SihanoukVille, Advertiser.
* New World Hotel - the first and only Czech point in cambodia is open
* Mr. Big Fish has Fish & Chips from $1.50
* Rainy Season Bar has started a pizza delivery service
* Chez Corinne has a new French bakery downtown
* Pim's is open again at a newer, bigger (and closer to the beach) location near Ocheteaul Beach
* Sasha Guesthouse opened on Independence Beach
in addition.... Holiday Palace Casino has opened up a new gambling wing and is reopening Holiday Beach Hotel across the street.
* Beach Club is finishing up another 18 or so new rooms
* Otres Beach has added a few more beach bars
* Victory Hill still is adding a few new watering holes
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
* Angelo's Greek & BBQ restaurant
and Angelo's Seafood restaurant are now open on Ocheteaul Beach.
* Le Bistro Gourmand is open on Serendipity Beach Road
* Corner Bar Mark has a second place... Thida's Inn on Serendipity Beach Road
* New World Hotel, the first Czech place is open downtown.
* Hard Rock Sport Bar & Restaurant is now open downtown.
* Le Barometre consultations & Brain Storming is open on Victory Hill.
* Rainy Season now has pizza delivery.
* Beach Club now features The Maharajah's Indian Restaurant.
* Blue Dolphin Internet and computer services opened on Serendipity Beach Road.
* L'arcobaleno guesthouse with Italian management in open on Blue Mountain.
* Savery Guesthouse, Bistro and Beer Garden is open downtown, near the bus station.
* Fisherman's Den has moved to a new, air-conditioned (and ground level) location.
* Claire's Place, owned by Claire and managed by Claire is open in the guesthouse with no name, downtown. (Dick's Place)
* Thai by Thai Massage is open near Luna D'Autunno
* Zoco Clothing has a new shop at the Independence Hotel.
* Jagreal Real Estate company is open downtown.
* Sorya Beach restaurant on Ocheteaul Beach is open, serving Western, Khmer and Indian food.
* S Villa real estate is open downtown.
* Sihanoukville Design is open.
and that's about it. Occasional rains most days now, and the temperature has dropped (about 3 degrees).
Construction on the bridge to Snake Island has begun, and the rebuilding of the Market (which burned down) is near completion.
Everything else is pretty normal (for SihanoukVille).
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
A week or more of celebrations, including fireworks, water, swimming, eating and drinking, and dancing. For several days, especially the 13th to 17th of April, most or all of the rooms in town will be booked. If you're coming down here, best to make reservations first, and get your transportation lined up a couple days in advance if possible.
Right now, it's a little slow here, as everyone is waiting for New Years, and the week after New Years is also a bit slow, because everyone's back at work, and resting from the festivities.
You can get a list of places to stay at the SihanoukVille website, and don't forget to book transportation here a few days in advance. From Phnom Penh, it's about a 4 hour ride by car or bus, and costs $6 and up per person.
Come see for yourself!
Sooa Sday Chnam Tumuhy! as we say in Cambodia.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Hard Rock (not Cafe) opens tomorrow, behind Shifty's old place. A couple of Finns, so it should be fun.
The Greek is back, and we're waiting on info from the new Angelo's suite of restaurants on Ocheteaul Beach
SihanoukVille Casino is the newest website in town.
Paco's has completed his move, and now has rooms for rent.
The Lounge on Victory Beach is open.
A Swedish Dentist is doing good work on CT street.
Sunday, a new 30 room guesthouse has opened.
.... and that's about it!
(p.s... the name of the guesthouse is SUNDAY.
Sorry, the old blog broke.this is the new blog without the previous comments.
Time goes on, and SihanoukVille keeps growing.
2 new websites are up about SihanoukVille
no backpacker resort websites yet….. but just wait
Otres beach, which was closing…..didn’t, but
Otres is getting a casino, waterpark, and resort… but not for some time
and Golden Sands has opened up the towns 4th casino (machine games only)
Ramada which was open, is now closed. don’t know why.
Chinese New Years was a blast here, with Dragon Dances everyday for a week at hundreds of homes and businesses.
Beer factory (Cambrew / Angkor Brewery) at the top of the hill working 24/7. They ran out of beer for the whole country. Same with Anchor perhaps. Beer prices went up for a while to balance the supply/demand.
* Dan Meats has a new location next to Golden Sands hotel and offers
a much larger variety of foods than before.
* The Swedish are (still) coming, and so is Little Sweden Restaurant on Victory Hill
* EcoSea Diving has opened up a bungalow resort on Koh Rong Samloem island
* The Look Restaurant and Bar replaces Zombie Bar on Victory Hill
* Dannie is back at Dannie’s newly renovated bar on the Hill
* Our first new Irish Bar in a while, Darby O’Gill’s opens St. Patrick’s Day downtown.
anyone know of any new places, let us know.
Chinese / Vietnamese New Years has arrived! Gung Zee Fa Chai. Once again, the town is packed with tourists. It’s been very cloudy recently, but no rain. Several new guesthouses have just opened, hoping to fill up for New Years.
No military vessels in town in the last couple months, but a few cruise ships have docked for one or two day stopovers.
The market is a few weeks away from being rebuilt after the fire last month. Everyone has moved to the new market for now (except all the sellers refuse to pay for stalls, so they are camped out in the parking lot).
the Sokha company, which has Sokha Hotels, and building a new resort on the former golf course, has also bought Bokor Mountain (for the next 99 years anyway) and have shut down the road to the top, while they build a new road. (should re-open in 2010 or so)
Khmer New Years (New Years #3) is coming up in 2 months time, and we should see a repeat of this week.
all for now….
New years has rolled into Sihanoukville with a bang, once again. 2008 saw most of the action on
Most hotels are fairly booked for the next couple months, but a lot of new hotels are opening up as well.
Two casinos opened up in the last month ( a total of 3 here now). One is even offering coupons for free food and $5 gambling money, every day for the next 2 months.
Dive shops are virtually abandoned in the days, as everyone working there is busy taking out divers on trips and training sessions.
Prices for many foods literally doubled today, as the central market burned to the ground last night, but the fire was contained to the market and did not spread.
The Angkor Beer factory at the top of the hill is working 24 hours a day for the next few months, trying to keep up with demand, and many clothing factories are expanding as exports rise.
Still haven’t seen any cruise ships in town, but are expecting some, and several warships docking for shore leave this coming year.
The pace of new building has slowed down, but there’s still several (hundred) projects still going on.
The islands were probably the second most popular destination for New Years, after
You could say this little town is growing.
* Chi Khmer, a division of Happa serving fine cambodian cuisine has opened
* Session bar and restaurant has opened, possibly on Ocheteaul beach
* The Dive Shop
* Tiki Hut. Bob’s answer to Club //
* The Beach Club on Ocheteaul is now opened with 16 rooms and a swimming pool.
* Marco Polo has re-opened with after major renovations.
* TravelShop tour service has opened next to
* Tranquility bungalows are opened on
* LaOr Thai restaurant on Ocheteaul is open.
* The Small Green Guesthouse is open downtown.
* The Sushi Bar, a creation from Kyoko from EcoSea is open downtown.
* Underground, at Bar Ru’s old location is open.
* Khemara, formerly Lovely Guesthouse is open downtown.
* Peak Hotel and Casino is open.
* Zombi Bar on Victory Hill is open.
* Daddy’s Oceans Club has finished 2 years of building, to finally open downtown.
* Para Cambodia paragliding is now open.
* Artex tours downtown, part of the
* Dan Meats is now open at Die Backerei at a new location downtown.
* Captain Morgan bar is now open at the
* SinVill Tattoo is open at a new location across from Fortuna Casino around the Golden
* French Grill ov Victory Hill is open.
The USS Essex, a small American aircraft carrier / marine transport just left town. Now we can rest a bit. Almost 3,000 Sailors and Marines took over the town for a week. Constant military helicoptor flights made it seem like we were right on the ship. Everyone seemed to have a good time. Locals here now think that they can charge 10 times the normal price for everything, instead of double the normal price, so if anyone reading this comes to visit, bargain down to 10% of the original price, and you should be doing well.
And all this was coming right off the Cambodian Water Festival last week, when 3 million Khmers go to
Weather’s been perfect every day for a month now. Don’t think it rained more than once, and it gets a bit chilly in the morning (23 degrees celcius).
A new casino opened last week and another one, on the Golden Lions Circle is scheduled to open this week. Several new places are trying to get opened by the end of 2007.
….. And that’s about it. Time to rest.
News taken from The Sihanouk Ville Advertiser, November edition:
* Utopia now has free internet after (and free rooms). happy hour draft beer is 37 cents.
* SinVille tattoo opened at a new location around the Golden Lions circle.
* Chez Popeye has a Big Screen for blues and rock concerts.
* Max Guesthouse is now open
* Chez Nous restaurant is open, with live shows
* Top Cat has and air conditioned movie theater with an 8 meter screen
* New Christmas Bungalows on Ocheteaul is open.
* Beach Club on Ocheteaul is scheduled for a December opening
* Zoco Clothes now has 5 locations in town.
* XXL now has a guesthouse attached to the restaurant
* Retox is hiring DJ’s (they pay with beer)
* Tropical Massage opened downtown
* Mary does nails now at the Golden Rooster Hotel
* We’ve got the first biodiesel shuttle in town.
* Finlandia is now open
* a dedicated wine shop, Celliers d’Asie is open
* The Britannia is open.
* Dan Meats is now available at Die Backerei
* An architect firm and a building firm have opened.
* Sea Dragon travel is opened next to the Golden Sands
* ParaCambodia has paragliding lessons and rentals.
* Golden Sands has opend a massage and beauty parlor
* Rubix at the
* Cool Banana is open 24 hours
That’s about it for this week!
The big building boom is definetly underway. Ramada Wordwide just opened, KFC is coming to town, there’s an ATM on most streets, and international flights will be coming to Sihanoukville soon. By the end of 2007, the town should be double the population that it was at the end of 2006.
While the rainy season hasn’t quite ended yet, several hotels around town are allready full.
To add to the typical French, Italian, and Thai restaurants and guesthouses, we now have Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian, Spanish, Polish and Japanese owned places around town.
An expected 600 Swedish toursists a month on package tours will be competing with hundreds of Finnish and Norwegians. The Aussies, Americans English, French, and German tourists are coming in force too.
All the islands have apparently been bought out, there will be 4 casinos in town, a couple golf courses, a marina, and several 3 and 4 star hotels. It’s going to be like Pataya, (but better) here in a few years, but it’s still a small town now.
It’s now the Pchum Ben festival, so all the locals are going to the Wats in town, to give alms to their ancestors all month.
And that’s just this month.
The Swedish are coming. The Swedish now are coming to the Sihanoukville-Cambodia.com website, more than any other country in the world. They just beat out the
want to by a jeep with proper registrationpaper.
want to rent a house with high wall and garden/parking for minimum
downtown/ochheuteal bech.2-4rooms.long contract.
Happenings in May 2007
The tourist boom is slowing down, but the building boom is picking up pace. 14 new projects completed or announced this month. Hotels, bars, restaurants, oil drilling and who knows what else.
Independence Hotel finally opened after a several year renovation. Few guests but lots of lookers. They’re still fixing up the place with final touches, but it’s definitely useable.
Corner Bar had it’s 5th anniversary celebration, and as usual, it was a blast.
2 new Thai restaurants coming to town, one with Greek food, and a Greek delivery only restaurant just opened as well.
Oil drilling off the coast is going ahead, but nobody in town has ever met anyone working on the project.
Australian Navy just left after a few days. They came here to try to buy fishnet stockings for the passage across the equator. couldn’t really explain. Think they had a good time though.
The marina on
The pier at the old
No news on the bridge to
The street running through town is being torn up again, and will soon be a 6 lane freeway, probably from Victory Hill to the Golden Lions circle.
Remy Zero, (the theme song to SmallVille) is collaborating with JoeBodia Matt (swam 20km with handcuffs, and famous videographer) on a project. does this mean Angelina Jolie is coming to town?
New Happenings in Sihanoukville
April 17th. The day after Cambodian New Year.
The town is only starting to slow down a bit. Some of the thousands of tourists from all over the country are heading back home. School doesn’t start for another 5 days, and many people have taken the whole week off work, so they can celebrate on the beaches of Sihanoukville.
Wat Leu and Wat Kraom were filled with guests, making the annual offerings to the Wats and hoping for a properous new year. The last day of New Years was filled with water thowing, and more than 2,000 people an hour were going to the Wats for the festivities.
At homes and restaurants, dancing, singing, eating and drinking, were the main activities for 3 days. Now everyone is tired, but happy that New Years is over.
Every hotel in town was fully booked, and many new hotels and guesthouses coincidentally opened just in time for New Year.
Investments and new building projects are booming everywhere, and package tour groups are decending on the once small town.
Haven’t heard anything new about the oil exploration going on, except that they’re thinking of building a pipeline from the ocean to the port.
Carlsberg beer production will be starting at Cambrew, the Angkor Beer factory in a month or so. We’ll be glad to have a bigger beer selection soon.
That’s if for now. Sur S’day Chnam Thmei, Gung Zi Fa Chai, and Happy New Year to all!
you now must have either a Cambodian driver’s license or maybe a foreign license with an international driver’s license to drive a car or motorcycle in
Sihanoukville has finally quieted down a bit after Chinese New Years week is over, the King’s come and gone, and the American warship left after 5 days. Most every hotel was booked up. Many new places have opened up in the last month, especially on Otres beach.
Finally got some rain here, and it looks like it will continue raining about once a week for the next few months. Good thing, since the lake that supplies us (and the Angkor Beer factory) with water has been getting kind of low.
The islands are being sold off quicker now. The Russians have bought
That’s it for now.
Sign up to make comments or you can write your own info as well!
February in SihanoukVille, Cambodia.Exciting times.
Chinese / Vietnamese New Years starts February 18th. Should be a big party all over the country, and especially in Sihanoukville.
The King just came to town for his first official visit since his coronation. The streets were lined with people cheering the King as he drove through town.
Also, the first U.S. Naval ship has been in town for the last several days. The U.S.S. Gary as I understand has about 200 sailors, and they can be seen all over town.
Other than that, the town keeps growing. The Independence Hotel, or 7 Story Hotel is set to open after being left in ruins for the last couple decades. The hotel sits atop a small hill overlooking the
Happy Herb Pizza was doing so good, they had to move next door to a place twice as big.
Angkor Arms, now unoficially known as Les Arms de Angkor, has been bought by a French family, and they are also responsible for getting the new airport open and running.
Weatherwise, we saw our first rain last night in a long tim, but nobody really saw it, we just woke up to wet streets.
for travellers, all the busses now leave directly from the bus station, instead of their own offices. This actually saves about 5 minutes on the ride to